Thursday, March 23, 2006

Hangin' in Hawai'i

There's something about alliteration that really, really satisifies. Yum. I'm also feeling flu-y (more!), so perhaps there's a touch of the delusional about me right now.

I am at the University of Hawai'i right now, packing up so I can move from the dorm where we've been on retreat for three days to our hotel on Waikiki. Today I officially go on leave for five whole days. And I feel sick: stuffed nose, thick head, swollen eyes, etc. Sigh. What madness. Laurence flies in this afternoon, so he's going to get a "lei" greeting by his very own gal around town, moi. I've decided a mild amount of public embarrassment is a necessary rite of passage here.

Speaking of public embarrassment, we had decided that we needed to do some sort of big team bonding/event during our retreat, so we had planned to go on a luau last Sunday. It poured -- it's been raining here for weeks now and we have had terrible, anti-Hawai'i holiday weather -- and we postponed until Tuesday. Tuesday arrives, clouds heavy in the sky, etc., etc., and we all headed down to the pick-up point at the Ala Manoa Hotel. I noticed that my colleagues seem to have a lot of extra things with them, most notably Jodie with a rather large box. As we stood on the street corner, Jodie began to pull out grass skirts for people to put on...

More anon. Breakfast and other stuff. xx

No comments: